We have added search box. Key in SAP issue keyword to search
TopBottom

Announcement: wanna exchange links? contact me at sapchatroom@gmail.com.

Re: [sap-acct] Foreign Currency Valuation in SAP

Posted by Admin at
Share this post:
Ma.gnolia DiggIt! Del.icio.us Yahoo Furl Technorati Reddit

Posted by VidhyaDhar (User-friendly SAP FI Consultant)
on Jul 27 at 3:34 AM
Mark this reply as helpfulMark as helpful
Hi Ron

Further to my earlier mail, Let me say one thing more.

Choose always valuate procedure if you want similar treatment for customers
and vendors , provided your country allows it. That valuates both losses and
gains.

Regards.

Regards

VidhyaDhar

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 9:11 AM, geevidhyadhar . email@removedwrote:

> Hi Ron
>
> Have not had an opportunity to read your posts for quite some time and I am
> glad to read one now.
>
> That was a tricky question which you posed. I did simulate such a case
> also. When I did Foreign Currency Valuation by adopting the lowest value
> principle, the system treated a receivable as a receivable and a payable as
> a payable ( it did not net receivable and payable of the same business
> partner who is both a customer and vendor ) and valued the line items
> separately.
>
> The system faithfully stuck to the lowest value principle and booked a loss
> in the customer line item ( since my receivable on the date of Foreign
> Currency Valuation was lesser ) and ignored the virtual gain in the vendor
> line item ( since I used lowest value principle ). I guess that the system
> behaves fine as per the principle.
>
> Any way, I guess a customer vendor equating relationship , I feel , perhaps
> has nothing to do with valuation since the principle is more important (
> viz. lowest value principle booking losses using the principle of
> conservatism and ignoring anticipated gains ). Well ! It can happen within
> the same customer account where in one line item ( using foreign currency '
> X ' booking a loss ) the system books a loss and in another ( using another
> foreign currency ' Y' noticing a virtual gain and ignoring it ). I feel
> that whether it is a) multiple line items with different currencies of the
> same business partner or b) a . Multiple line items of the same business
> partner who plays a dual role as customer and vendor ( and invoiced using
> same / different currencies ), the system does not bother about such
> things. It rather goes by the principle ( lowest value principle , as in the
> case I tested out ) and seems to be consistent in that. This is what I
> observed by testing out.
>
> However, It is likely that my judgment through observation is perhaps
> incorrect ( may be I missed out some essential criterion ) and I would like
> your views also in this regard.
>
> Regards
>
> VidhyaDhar
>
>
>
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 3:45 AM, ron.roberts via sap-acct <
> sap-acct@groups.ittoolbox.com> wrote:
>
>> Posted by ron.roberts(Managing Consultant)
>> on Jul 26 at 6:12 PM So
>> now let's add some complications
>> 1. suppose that a single customer is also a vendor. If the customer has a
>> 100 debit and the vendor has a 110 credit, do you just revalue the
>> customer?
>> 2. taking this to the extreme, if the vendor has some debit items and some
>>
>> credit items, do you just revalue the debit items?
>>
>> It seems to me that vendor payables and customer receivables are very
>> similar in nature and that they should be handled similarly, not
>> differently. Who makes these rules? (OK, I know, but do you see my point?)
>>
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 1:15 PM, VidhyaDhar via sap-acct <
>> sap-acct@groups.ittoolbox.com> <http://groups.ittoolbox.com%3E> wrote:
>>
>> > Posted by VidhyaDhar(User-friendly SAP FI Consultant)
>> > on Jul 24 at 1:12 PM Hi Friends
>> >
>> > Foreign Currency Valuation is performed using a valuation method which
>> > includes a single procedure such as Lowest Value Principle . If my
>> company
>> > code were to revalue my receivable open items and there is an
>> unfavorable
>> > drop in exchange rate , I end up booking a loss arising out of such a
>> drop
>> > and I can understand the logic of conservatism being used. However , if
>> on
>> > the same day I were to revalue my payable open items using the same
>> > procedure, Would I not be ending up booking a profit ? If the lowest
>> value
>> > procedure results in booking a profit, then isn't the premise of the
>> > valuation procedure conforming to conservatism principle lost ?
>> >
>> > Example Customer Invoice raised for 1 USD = 45 INR on 01 Jan 2010
>> >
>> > Upon revaluation (using lowest value principle) at the time of closing (
>>
>> > viz. 31 Jan 2010) the exchange rate is 42 INR - then I would book a loss
>> of
>> > 3 INR , which is perfectly understandable.
>> >
>> > However, if I had a Vendor Invoice for 1 USD = 45 INR on 01 Jan 2010
>> >
>> > Upon revaluation using the same principle on 31 Jan 2010, My liability
>> > comes down by 3 INR leading to my booking a profit of 3 INR.
>> >
>> > If the system allows me to book profit using lowest value principle,
>> then
>> > isn't the premise of conservatism underlying the lowest value principle
>> lost
>> > ? Does not the very nomenclature of lowest value principle becomes
>> > questionable ? Or Am I missing out something and comprehending things
>> > incorrectly?
>> >
>> > Would appreciate your expert opinions, please
>> >
>> > Thanks in Advance
>> >
>> > Regards
>> >
>> > VidhyaDhar

__.____._
Copyright © 2010 Toolbox.com and message author.

Toolbox.com 4343 N. Scottsdale Road Suite 280, Scottsdale, AZ 85251
VidhyaDhar
SAP Accounting Helper

Posted helpful replies on 5 threads in a group to earn a Bronze Achievement
In the Spotlight
Earn Recognition for Your Contributions at Toolbox for IT. Gain Points for Community Achievements
_.____.__

0 comments:

Post a Comment

T r a n s l a t e to your language